Nine-time ChelseaFlower Show veteran and winner of Australia’s only ‘best in show’ medal in the historic event’s 100 year history, Wes Fleming knows a thing or two about creating show-stopping gardens.
From dramatic plunge-pools and outdoor bathtubs to relaxed outdoor dining and sculptural outdoor art, new landscaping and design trends are formed at Chelsea.
So how can you recreate a touch of Chelsea in your garden at home? Wes Fleming reveals his top tips to inject a Chelsea feel into your outdoor space…
- “Plonk Gardening” – don’t overthink the location of plants too much and don’t be afraid to mix and match within a garden bed. Rather than strive for perfection and symmetry, for a more natural look simply ‘plonk’ plants down in the garden bed still in their pots and stand back – if it looks good, then plant.
- Use a mix of evergreen, flowering, autumn colour and feature trees to create a stunning array of texture and colour that will change with the weather and take on a different character with each turn of the season.
- Reserve a good budget for planting – the plants will pay you back in spades as they mature and in turn increase the value of your home.
- Use colour to layer – use deep purple foliage as a backdrop, fading to brighter tones and silver foliage plants as the top layer of planting.
- Use low growing and spreading plants as ground cover, rather than mulch or bark. This will create a more full-bodied garden with lots of different plants, colours and textures.
- Create interest and structure to your garden with a touch of ‘hard’ landscaping –wooden beams or decorative screening make for a dramatic addition to any garden and help balance the ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ landscaping elements.
- Be creative with exterior lighting. Accentuating mature trees or feature points in the garden with up-lighting can look incredible at night and ensure your garden is a focal point both day and night!
- 3 Tips For Choosing Bedroom Furniture For Your Kids - January 29, 2021
- Top 2020 kitchen trends - December 8, 2020
- What Are the Top 2020 Technological Trends inSecurity Systems? - October 21, 2020